Previous Page Trail Contents Helmdon Home   Start of Trail  

Trail: Fountain House

Fountain House There has been a dwelling here for many hundreds of years. After other owners, a building on this site was sold to John Fountayne Esq in 1579, and in 1608 it belonged to Thomas Emilie or Emyley.

The present Fountain House was built in the more fashionable brick in the late nineteenth century by William Ellis, the respected local historian, after retiring from the Indian Civil Service. It had its own tennis court and a private platform and shelter next to the railway line. The garden has been used in the past by the Bridge Players as the setting for their summer productions, and it has been the venue for wine tastings, fetes and Christmas sales.


Previous Page Trail Contents Helmdon Home   Start of Trail