In April 2016 the coach depot site was taken over by SMS X Travel, operating from Towcester.
Jeffs Coaches previously occupied the site.
A selection of coaches at Jeffs
The Jeffs coach business was established by Jack
Jeffs in 1957 with one coach and he soon took on a lease of the
abandoned LMS station yard. When their father died in 1972, Ken
Jeffs went into partnership with his brother John, who was already in the business.
In October 2000 Jeffs won a prestigious industry
award. Read all about it by clicking
In December 2004 Jeffs became part of LF Bowen Ltd, a subsidiary
of the Moseley Group (PSV) Plc of Loughborough. Until his death former owner Ken
Jeffs stayed on as a director of the company, which operates as
a separate coach company in the group (see
The Helmdon depot operation
remains small enough not to have too much of an impact on village
In late October 2012 the company went into adminstration (see
newspaper cutting) but a buyer was found shortly after and the compay will retain the name Jeffs Coaches.
The business ceased operation in 2015 and in April 2016 the coach depot site was taken over by SMS X Travel, operating from Towcester.
(An article about Jeffs Coaches, by Ann Smith and
David Brookhouse, appeared in Aspects of Helmdon no 4. )