Stuchbury, its name of Anglo Saxon origins,
is a deserted village. It is bounded on the north by Sulgrave, on
the east by Helmdon, on the south by Greatworth and on the west by
Marston St Lawrence.
It probably had its first inhabitants in Anglo-Saxon times, but by
the time of the Norman Conquest the population had dropped to sixteen
people. In 1110 a cell of Cluniac monks formed St Andrew's Priory,
which lasted until the Dissolution of the monasteries in 1537, when
the estate was re-granted to Lawrence Washington of Sulgrave Manor.
Then the land went over to sheep, and the demise of Stuchbury as a
flourishing village had begun, with Robert (Lawrence Washington's
son) pulling down houses to make use of the land for wool and stapling
In 1674 there were four houses left, and that is also the number of
houses there today namely Stuchbury Hall, Stuchbury Manor and two
cottages. The original village site is the area where Stuchbury Hall
now stands and the sunken roadway which leads from the Hall down to
the ford would have been the village street, and is a visible feature
of a "lost village" site.
Click here for the
complete story of Stuchbury