Previous Page Trail Contents Helmdon Home   Start of Trail  

Trail: The Chequers

The Chequers around 1900 Probably the second oldest of the Four Public Houses, the Chequers has formal records which go back to the 1760s but William Ellis, writing in 1900, states that the alehouse keeper was plying his trade much earlier than that. Timothy Bull from a well-known village family was the first licensee. He was also the owner, but in 1872 it was out of private hands and owned by Hopcrofts & Morris (later Hopcrofts) of Brackley. Its name could have been derived from the fact that a room was set aside for the local men of substance to write up their accounts (originally accounts were kept on a chequered cloth, hence Chancellor of the Exchequer), or it could have come from the wild service trees growing in the vicinity, their berries being known as "chequers". The Chequers ceased trading in 1992, it was demolished and now four detached houses occupy the ground it once covered.


Previous Page Trail Contents Helmdon Home   Start of Trail